Who can Apply?
A tourist visa can only be granted to a foreigner who does not have a residence or occupation in India and whose sole objective of visiting India is recreation, sightseeing, casual visit to meet friends and relatives etc. No other activity is permissible on a tourist visa. A tourist visa may be issued normally for six months with multiple entries and is non extendable and non convertible. The duration of the visa is the sole discretion of the Authority.
Foreigners applying for voluntary work in NGO’s must apply for an employment visa.
Tourist visa can also be issued for a period of 5 years to the nationals of France, Germany, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Belgium, Finland, Spain, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea, Argentina, Brazil, Chile and Mexico but stay at each visit in India should not exceed 180 days.
The visas are not issued from the future date to match applicant’s itinerary for inward and outwards journey to/from India and are effective from the date of issue.
Fees & Charges
Click on the Fee Calculator Icon to calculate fees applicable.
Credit/Debit card surcharge of 1.95% applicable for card payments. Only Master card or Visa cards issued in Australia are acceptable
Emergency Processing Fees:
Issued for Business travellers, requiring to travel in an emergency or in the case of travel required for an urgent medical condition /death of a close relative a Consular Emergency fee of $141 + VFS Emergency Processing Fee of $88 (inclusive of GST) is applicable over an above standard fees.
Preferred mode of payment
At the application centre by Credit Card/EFTPOS
At the application centre in Cash
Other Payment modes
Fees can be paid by Money Order/Postal Order, in favour of, “VFS Services Australia Pty Ltd”
For all type of applications, same day pick up requests will incur an additional VFS Emergency Processing Fee of Au$88.00 (inclusive of GST) including interim/complete withdrawal cases.
Photographs should be in color and strictly as per the specifications below.
- Un-mounted - 2 inch x 2 inch in size.
- Face should cover about 70 to 80% of the photo area.
- Frame Subject with Full Face, Front view, Eyes open
- Taken within the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance.
- The photographs must be clear, well defined and taken against a plain white or light-coloured background.
- Appropriate brightness and contrast showing your skin tones naturally
- Even lighting (no shadows across or behind the face)
- Face must be square to the camera with a neutral expression, neither frowning nor smiling and with your mouth closed.
- If you must wear a head covering for religious reasons, make sure your full facial features are not obscured.
- Non-tinted prescription glasses are allowed as long as your eyes are clearly visible. Make sure that the frame does not cover any part of your eyes. Sunglasses are not acceptable.
- Headphones, wireless hands-free devices, or similar items are not acceptable in your photo.
- Photograph for Child/babies - The photograph should show the baby or child awake, looking straight at the camera with mouth closed and nothing covering the mouth. It should also show both edges of the face clearly (no toys, blankets, chair backs or other people visible) and no hair across the eyes.
There is one self-service Photo-booth available at each of our centres in Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney. The photo-booth is a self operating standard Adult photo facility and cannot be adjusted to assist with Infant, Children or Special Needs applicants’ photographs.
Strictly do not finalize travel plans before receiving the service applied for. Processing times below are average processing times. Please plan your travel accordingly.
VFS/Government of India would not be responsible for any inconvenience/problems faced as a result of finalizing travel plans before obtaining the relevant service.
Applicants sending their documents by Post/Courier are requested to ensure that they are completed and meet requirements. Processing times mentioned do not include transit time by post/courier. Transit times by Courier are generally 1-3 days on average and may be higher in remote or rural areas.
Incomplete applications will lead to an increase in processing time and applicants will need to comply with any changes in the procedure that may occur during this time. As a part of Processing Incomplete applications are returned and Courier Return fees will apply. See terms and conditions for further details
- For Visas: Turnaround times for Complete Visa Applications.
- Average of 5 Working Days: For Applications submitted in Canberra and Brisbane.
- Average of 5 Working Days: For Applications submitted in Melbourne.
- Average of 5 Working Days: For Applications submitted in Sydney and Adelaide.
- Average of 3 Working Days: For Applications submitted in Perth.
Most visa applications for Australian nationals and permanent residents of Australia would be processed with in the above mentioned period after submission of application except for below categories.
- A minimum of 45 days but could take more time
Nationals of Pakistan or any applicant (irrespective of current nationality) who previously held Pakistani nationality
- 10th working day
Non-Australians from countries other than Afghanistan, China, Macau, Taiwan, Hong Kong, DPRK, Iran, Pakistan
- A minimum of 4 weeks but could take more time
Nationals of Afghanistan, China, Macau, Taiwan, Hong Kong DPRK, Iran OR any applicant (irrespective of current nationality) who was previously a national of any of these countries
- A minimum of 45 days but could take more time
Applicants applying for conferences/seminars/workshops visa who are/ were Nationals of Afghanistan, China, Macau, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Iran, Iraq, Sudan and Pakistan (irrespective of current nationality)
Participants of conferences/seminars/workshops who are required to visit 'Restricted' or 'Protected' areas in India, or areas affected by terrorism, militancy and extremism etc. viz. Jammu & Kashmir and the North Eastern States.
Checklist & Application Forms
The checklist for the application category that you apply for will provide details on which specific forms you may need to download. In some instances, there may be more than one form.
Complete a separate checklist and application form/s for each person applying. Ensure the documents are completed accurately and signed where needed.
- The Government of India now requires all applications to be completed online. Click “Apply Now” to continue.
- Incomplete applications or applications with incorrect photographs specifications cannot be accepted and will be returned. Refer to Application & Service Terms
Please refer to the following table to select the correct Indian Mission for your city when filling out your online Visa Application Form:
|INDIAN MISSION JURISDICTIONS|
|Your Residential State||Indian Mission to be Selected|
| New South Wales
|AUSTRALIA – SYDNEY|
|AUSTRALIA – MELBOURNE|
| Australian Capital Territory
|AUSTRALIA – CANBERRA|
| Western Australia
|AUSTRALIA – PERTH|